A highly developed artistic and aesthetic sensibility with exceptional conceptualization skills are vital to a professional working in Art Direction.
What Is The Difference Between Art Direction and Creative Direction?
Art Direction is a position that is a step below that of a Creative Director. A Creative Director is responsible for managing entire creative teams and projects. They are also responsible for developing the concept. Someone working in Art Direction is tasked with visually developing the concept of the Creative Director.
Art Direction: Skills & Primary Responsibilities
They include but are not limited to the following:
- Establish creative direction for the brand, across multiple platforms and media.
- Develop creative programs and design concepts that meet the business objectives of the company or organization and that advance the brand strategy.
- Manage multiple projects from concept through completion.
- Monitor deadlines and budgets closely, and take corrective action as needed to achieve all targets.
- Supervise and inspire a fluid and evolving creative team; manage both internal and external team members.
- Provide quality control over concepts and projects.
- Execute website UI redesign/visual brand imagining for the company or organization.
- Develop visual style guide for the company brand and implement across all marketing touch points (website, mobile, social media, video, events, sales collateral, HTML emails, video).
- Design visual brand style guide, logos and website UI for new brands.
- Act as visual brand champion, ensuring integrity of each visual brand over time.
- Manage contract design resources, staff designers and design agencies as needed.
- Develop the visual design, layout and feel of the advertising to be executed in various interactive media.
- Responsible for the timely development and execution of campaigns and projects.
- To fluidly switch from project to project as needed.
- Remain informed of all industry news, especially digital creative and technology.
- Responsible for identifying and selecting training/learning opportunities to continually improve the level of art direction, creative strategies and implementation.
Do you need someone to do freelance art direction on a temporary or on going basis? I’d love to hear from you. Contact me today and let’s have a discussion about the compelling power and importance of the communicative visual image.